Recipe – Rotkraut/Red Cabbage: Classic Austrian side dish
This is an old family dish that offers a wonderful combination of flavors in the cabbage. This is an ideal recipe for a crowd, especially as a side dish for a winter holiday occasion.
- 1/4 0.25 0.25cup CUP_USVolumepeanut oil
- 1 1 1medium red onion, sliced
- 1 1 1cup CUP_USVolumebrown sugar
- 2 2 2Granny Smith apples, cored and sliced
- 1/2 0.5 0.5cup CUP_USVolumered wine vinegar
- 2 2 2cups CUP_USVolumered wine
- 2 2 2cups CUP_USVolumeorange juice
- 1 1 1cinnamon stick
- 1 1 1teaspoon TEASPOON_USVolumedry ginger
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 4 4pounds POUNDWeightred cabbage, cut into julienne
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat a heavy casserole over medium high heat. Add peanut oil. Sauté the red onion until translucent. Sprinkle in brown sugar and cook for about 5 minutes until it starts to caramelize.
- Add sliced apples and deglaze with the red wine vinegar. Bring to a boil. Add red wine and orange juice, cinnamon stick, ginger powder and salt and pepper. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add red cabbage and continue to cook for about 10 minutes on top of the stove.
- Cover cabbage with foil and cook in 350 degrees F. oven for about 45 minutes. Remove. Taste, and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
No related posts.
Related posts brought to you by Yet Another Related Posts Plugin.Print This Post